Canadian Immigration

Frequently asked questions

Here you will find some of the most common questions that we come across. If you have a question that is not listed here, feel free to contact us:

What kind of service do you provide?
  • With seven-plus years of experience in Immigration, we have mastered the processes involving local, national, and international recruitment. Global Hire has an ICCRC (Immigration Consultants of Canada Regulatory Council) member on staff….
  • The Labour Market Impact Assessment
  • Work Permit
  • Extension on the Work Permit
  • Permanent Residence Status in Canada
  • Relocation Assistance (S.I.N., Banking, temporary accommodation, Health Care and ESL schooling, etc.)
What countries do you recruit from?

Global Hire can recruit from any country around the world but specialize in select countries due to the availability of high and low skilled workers and the success rate of the immigration process per country. Currently, we specialize in recruiting from the Philippines and Mexico, with recruiters working out of India, Sri Lanka, Brazil, Chile, Dubai, and Eastern Europe.

What positions do you recruit for?

Our primary focus is to assist your organization by matching you with the right employees based on your specific needs. We provide placement services primarily in the Construction, Trucking, Welding, Manufacturing, and Service Industries on a contractual or a permanent basis. We do this while building partnerships based on mutual respect, trust, and professionalism.

What is the difference between low-skill and high-skill workers?

The difference between low and high skilled workers is defined by the National Occupational Classification or NOC for short. The National Occupational Classification (NOC) is the nationally accepted reference on occupations in Canada. Each occupation has a designated NOC code based on the skill requirements required to perform the job. High skilled workers are designated under skill levels 0, A, or B of the National Occupational Classification Matrix. Low skilled positions are designated as skill level C and D of the matrix. For further information please refer to the matrix here.

Can a foreign worker work for someone else?

Foreign workers who immigrate to Canada on a temporary work visa are not able to work for any other employer unless authorized to do so. To obtain authorization to work for another employer is a painstaking process. In most cases, an employee will not try to switch employers as long as they are treated fairly and the terms of the employment contract are met.

How long does the process take?

The length of the process depends on the position the company is recruiting for and the country they wish to recruit from. The shortest time frame to have a foreign worker in Canada is approximately one month. The waiting times to acquire a foreign worker from beginning to end range from approximately 3-7 months.

What are my obligations to my foreign worker?

As an employer, you are obligated to treat foreign workers the same as you would treat Canadian workers. A contract between the foreign worker and the potential employer is signed before the foreign worker is granted their work permit. This contract outlines the obligations made between the employer and the employee. If the foreign worker does not meet the criteria set forth by the employer for their employees, the employer is under no obligation to keep them and can terminate their contract.

Do we have to deduct CPP & other taxes from foreign workers?

Employers are responsible to deduct the same taxes as they would from their Canadian employees.

How much do I have to pay for wages?

The wage rate depends on the type of position your company is recruiting for. The wage requirements are set by the Foreign Worker Program and are locally standardized for various places in Alberta.

Where will the workers live?

We can assist your company in finding accommodation for your foreign employees for a small fee, or you can choose to assist the workers in securing their accommodations. For low skilled workers, the employer must ensure that the employee’s accommodations are no greater than 33% of the employee’s gross wage. Temporary foreign workers usually choose to share accommodations to lower the cost of living in Alberta.

How long can the worker stay here?

The length of stay in Alberta depends on several different criteria. Initially, most workers come to Alberta under a 2-year contract (they could come for less than 2 years if required by the employer). A low-skill worker can only stay for a maximum of 2 years and must return home for 4 months before they can reapply for a new work permit. A skilled worker can renew their work permit for a period of another 2 years from within Canada if the employer chooses to renew their contract.

How much do your services cost?

Our company has several packages available to suit your needs.

Immigration FAQ